Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Experimenting with shutter speed

The Wayside Inn Grist Mill features a waterfall which was the perfect subject to use in my practice to learn more about shutter speed.

F-stop:             f 5.6
exposure time:  1/100 sec.
ISO speed:       ISO-200




F-stop:             f /4
exposure time:  1/160 sec.
ISO speed:       ISO-200



F-stop:             f 6.3
exposure time:  1/30 sec.
ISO speed:       ISO-200




F-stop:             f 14
exposure time:  1/6 sec.
ISO speed:       ISO-200



The slower the shutter speed the more blurred the water will look.
I guess it is a matter of personal preference.  I think it's a neat effect.  My Mother didn't really like it at all.

I've been taking part in a class given by Elisha Snow called Mastering Manual Mode.  It has really forced me to get out of my comfort zone and get to know my camera a lot better. 



3 comments:

  1. Hello Phyllis,
    I agree that it's very interesting to see the different effects of shutter speed on your examples here. Although the last one with a shutter speed of 1/6 second is attractive, it also looks unnatural, like something out of a Walt Disney film representing a waterfall! You've given excellent examples here of different shutter speeds and the effect they give. You were able to choose a really lovely setting too. Nice job!
    Have a lovely Monday. It's turned cold here again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the differences in the water by shutter speed. Great demo!

    ReplyDelete